- Complex/complicated fractures fixation of hand, wrist or elbow
- Malunited or non-united fractures of the hand/wrist/forearm (Scaphoid, Radius, Ulna)
- Ligament repair and ligament reconstruction (TFCC, SLIL, LTIL, UCL)
- Tendon’s repair and tendon reconstruction with tendon graft or tendon transposition
- Joint replacements in the hand/wrist (MCPJ, PIPJ, CMC, RC, DRUJ)
- Partial or total arthrodesis wrist
- Severe hand injuries; reconstruction surgery of the hand and wrist
- Treatment of Dupuytren disease
- Treatment of Kienbock’s disease
- Customized treatment in cases of severe damage done by previous surgeries in others facilities
- Treatment of rheumatoid hand
- Treatment of congenital hand deformities
- More common cases of trigger fingers, carpal tunnel syndrome, or De Quervain tenosynovitis with conservative and surgical approach
- Treatment of professional sport persons (golfer players, footballers, cricketers, polo players, cross fit, gymnastics, acrobats, etc) as well as professional musicians
Dr. Lucia Heras has a rich experience of more than 40 years. She worked in Madrid, Spain, for 10 years, after which she moved to UK. In the UK, she was associated as a Consultant at the renowned Newham University Hospital, in London, where she also was responsible for developing and managing a Hand Unit for 13 years.
She has also served as a Professor and Examiner for the University of London and for the GMC (General Medical Council), where she examined for the PLAB for more than 8 years. She was later appointed by the GMA as an Assessor GMA.
In 2008, she shifted to the UAE, where she has worked with both Government and private hospitals. In UAE, she worked for 3 years at SKMC in Abu Dhabi, moving to Dubai she played a key role in the launch of a couple of well-known orthopaedic, spinal and advanced surgery hospitals (Medcare and Burjeel), where she worked for 8 years. In 2020, Dr. Heras moved to work at King’s College Hospital, London in Dubai for 2 years.
Her move now to Fakeeh University Hospital, Dubai is to pursue her career in a more academically-orientated facility.
In UAE, Dr. Heras has been instrumental in organizing various courses and workshops in hand surgery, and even created the IAOC as the 1st Congress dedicated only to Hand Surgery, 6 years ago; it is now run by the UAE Society for Hand Surgery.
She has published many research papers in hand/wrist pathology and trauma and has been the Co-author of a book in management of different infections, edited in Spain (Manejo de Infecciones en Urgencia). She has also edited and wrote some chapters in a Hand Surgery Book by IFSSH in 2010.
She teaches regularly and has been a faculty member in the 2-year Fellowship training program in Hand Surgery running in Gaza Strip, as part of Humanitarian work for a period of 6 consecutive years.
She is a member of:
- Royal College of Surgeons
- British Hand Society (BSSH)
- Member of the Spanish Hand Society (SECMA)
- Member of the European Hand Society (FESSH)
- Member of the British Orthopaedic Association (BOA)
- Member of the Spanish Society of Cosmetic Medicine and Surgery
- Licentiate in Medicine and Surgery (Bachelor), University Complutense of Madrid, Spain, 1980
- Chilean Certificate of Accreditation in Medicine and Surgery, 1998
- Board Certified, Spanish Ministry of Education in Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery, Spain, 1998
- Certificate of Specialist in Acupuncture, University Complutense of Madrid, Spain, 1985
- Certified Training for the Specialty Trauma & Orthopaedic Surgery, UK, 1997
- Trained in General Surgery, Orthopaedics and Plastic Surgery in Hospital Clinico de San Carlos, Madrid (Spain), 1980-1990
- Trained in Hand Surgery in London, Kentucky and Spain, 1990-1997